Feb 4, 2013

Butterflies- Butterflies of Florida


Bees sip honey from flowers and hum their thanks when they leave. The gaudy butterfly is sure that the flowers owe thanks to him - Rabindranath Tagore 
When butterflies fly by they delight our souls. God must have been a very happy person the day he created them :) So very light, colorful and so volatile and restless. Unknowingly the eyes start following them ... During my visit to Key West, Florida I shot many butterfly photos. And I thought of adding some beautiful quotes by great people on these wonderful creatures.

Crimson Patched Longwing also known as Red Postman (Heliconius erato). Found in northern South America (Info:Wiki). The whole species Heliconius are commonly called as Longwings.

The caterpillar does all the work and butterfly gets all the publicity- George Carlin
Zebra Longwing (Heliconius charitonius) is Florida State Butterfly. It is more common in southern parts of the state. As the name suggests it has long black wings with light yellow stripes.

The butterfly is a flying flower and the flower is a tethered butterfly- Pons Denis
False Zebra Longwing (Heliconius atthis) butterfly is native of West Ecuador. It seems females mate multiply to get most of the eggs successfully fertilized and also to have good genes reproduced!

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty- Maya Angelou
Common Postman (Heliconius melpomene) is another poisonous tropical butterfly native of Mexico and South America. 

Butterfly counts not months but moments, and has enough time- Rabindranath Tagore
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail also called as Yellow Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) is a native North American butterfly. Though these solitary butterflies are rarely seen in Florida Keys.

Not quite birds, as they were not quite flowers, mysterious and fascinating as are all indeterminate creatures- Elizabeth Goudge
You might be surprised to know that this Common Morpho is actually a bright blue butterfly. Its undersides are dull brown but have beautiful spots to make it noticed! During flight this butterfly is a beauty. This tropical butterfly is native to Central and South America. One of the big butterflies which feeds on rotten fruits. It seems it is almost endangered butterfly because of the habitat loss. Hope these beautiful creatures survive! (info from wiki).
---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

Click HERE to read more stories about Florida.

This post is linked to Our World Tuesday and Nature Notes.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

30 comments:

  1. Such beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful, Kusum!! Beautiful butterflies and marvelous captures, wonderful colors!! Thanks for sharing the beauty! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful post. i love taking picture of butterflies too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the most beautiful creatures on earth - the humble butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovey collection of butterflies.. They are so pretty! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have got a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love these and I can't wait for our butterflies to get here! These are all marvelous! I love every single shot!

    Happy OWT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if there is someone not fascinated with butterflies, i go home some weeks just to chase and photograph them. Those butterflies you saw are some of the most beautiful, and they are big ones too! Lovely shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These butterflies bring out the child in us don't they? Thanks for dropping by Andrea.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely collection. I hope they continue to thrive and inhabit the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leora. I agree, I hope they fascinate the coming generations too!

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos. I saw Morphos a couple of times at butterfly gardens and they are truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shots! I'm lucky if I can get one pic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cant seem to pick a favortie. I love them all! And sad that even one of these have become endangered. What will I show my grand kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! May be we could keep a picture to be on the safer side!

      Delete
  14. Oh I love these butterflies and the quotes that you included with the photos. I think they are a bit of magic when I see them and they make me smile as this post did... and thank you for your comments on my blog..I am feeling all the support.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Thanks! And I am so very glad that my post and these butterflies made you smile :)

      Delete
  15. So pretty, aren't they?
    We just visited the museum at Big Basin and saw all the beautiful butterflies of the area. Although we didn't see many during our little hike, I swear I could sit and admire the beauty of the lifeless ones in the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Basin, CA? Did you hike up to Berry Creek Falls? Its a lovely place. Yeah, butterflies are amazing!

      Delete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.