Dec 5, 2012

National Parks- The popular Yosemite



This is my 100th post on this blog! I started this new blog with a beautiful template (recently changed it anyway!). I started it on May 24th, a little over 6 months ago. It has grown well with over 27K hits. I thank all of you who like to read my articles and encouraged by expressing beautiful thoughts in comments. On this occasion I would like to present an article on Yosemite National Park- one of my all time favorite place!

Yosemite National Park is one of the most popular, most beautiful, most visited, most hiked and most photographed national parks of USA. I have visited this place n-number of times, in spring for wildflowers and waterfalls, in summer for hiking, in fall for fall colors and in winter for snow-shoeing. To visit this place one doesn't need a reason or occasion just the name is enough! Very easily accessible waterfalls and viewpoints are crowd pullers.


Some of the waterfalls like Upper/Lower Yosemite falls, Bridal Veil falls, Cascade falls are easily accessible by a very short walk. But, some like Vernall falls, Nevada falls and Illilouette falls need a moderate to strenuous hike to reach. There are numerous waterfalls in the park who live for a short period of time during spring when the snow melts.


Half Dome (8,800ft) is a popular hike inside the park. Many try it, most of them complete it. Some abandon it at the base of the dome. Some have lost their lives too! It is a 16 miles out-and-back hike with an elevation gain of 4,800ft. I left at the sunrise 5:30am and reached back to my tent at 5:00pm. I took Mist Trail on the way up enjoying the views of Vernall and Nevada Falls. On the way back I tool John Muir trail down from top of Nevada Falls which was a bit easy on knees. It was an arduous and adventurous hike for me and it was my first hike in Yosemite National Park. I tried four times. Once I made it to the top. It was fantastic experience. Twice I retracted back because I was sick. Once I just came back looking at the crowd on the cables. After few fatalities now hikers should obtain permits for this hike.

I remember once I was so tired and thought of taking a small break near the top of Nevada Falls and I just dozed off. It was an hour of sound sleep before a chipmunk woke me up! After that I stood right on the top of Nevada and watched it gushing down with all its might!


There are two loop hikes on the Valley Floor. Spring is the good time for these hikes as the wildflower bloom is at its peak. And also during this time rest of the trails are closed due to snow. Snow-capped mountains look fantastic from the valley. All the waterfalls will be full with water. Seasonal waterfalls come to life at this time. One might even see some Dogwood blooms. The whole area looks amazingly beautiful. 

El Capitan is one of the high standing granite rocks which is rock-climbers dream. With the help of a binoculars one can see tiny climbers on its sheer face. I have never tried rock-climbing, but it looks hard.



Glacier point provides fantabulous views of the valley. There is a road up to this point. A drive on Tioga Pass road is another experience. Winding uphill-downhill road towards eastern sierras provides many views of granite peaks and alpine lakes. There are many lakes around and in the park. And near every lake there is a campground. Bears frequent campgrounds as these creatures are fond of human food. Once I saw a kid-bear around my tent. The ranger officer told me that it was an orphan. Its mother died in a road accident. Poor child. 

The park has an entry fees of $20. There are numerous campsites and tent-lodge accommodation available. There are private campgrounds and hotels just outside the park. Here in the park people get married too :) Ahwahnee Lodge has all facilities. Once I watched a newly married couple getting their picture taken with Lower Yosemite Falls in the background. It was too cool! Yosemite National Park- I am ever ready to visit.
---

Leave a comment to share your thoughts :)

For more posts on National Parks of USA click HERE.

This post is linked to Nature Notes.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 100th post Kusum. May the coming months bring in more exciting posts to read. Those are lovely falls inside an amazing national park. Nice post.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pics! That 1 hour nap must have really been awesome!

    And congratulations. My! its already been 100 posts! Great going Kusum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Jenny! Yes, the nap was great but, I was lucky to be woken up by a chipmunk than a bear :)

      Delete
    2. haha, I dont you would never wake up if it was a bear :-) :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post on Yosemite! The waterfall shots are beautiful. Congrats on your 100th post. I am looking forward to seeing many more post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to visit Yosemite one day. Your photos are so inviting. I greatly enjoyed hikes by falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leora for your kind words. Andwelcome to my blog. I am glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. 100 posts and what wonderful adventures you have taken us on Kusum. I so want to visit this park after seeing a wonderful history of the National Park system on TV. I am so happy that these areas were protected from development by a few wonderful people who realized how important that was. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I agree, it is one wonderful thing called National Park system all around the world!

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely park! What fabulous shots. And congrats on your 100th post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful... congrats on post 100:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! This post brings back many great memories of my time there. Of all the month long vacation I had in the US, visiting Yosemite was the best part for me. From the moment I went into the park for the first time, I just wished it wasn't that far away from my home...
    I only spent three days there, going back and forth from Merced each day. I hope whenever I get to go back, I can at least spend a night.

    So so beautiful photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my Blog Aiketa! Glad my post brings back your sweet memories of Yosemite :) I agree with you everyone wants to go back to Yosemite!

      Delete
  9. I specially like the first one, it's magical!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.