Dec 31, 2012

Waterfalls- Silver Falls State Park



I stayed a night in Salem, Oregon. My plan was to visit the Silver Falls State Park and the numerous beautiful waterfalls around. I drove 20 miles south-east very early in the morning so I could get beautiful morning light to shoot those amazingly gorgeous waterfalls. I looked around as I drove on the deserted road towards Silverton ... it was green all around ... it was beautiful and dreamy for a person from Bangalore or say California. My friends from Oregon complain about the grey sky though :)

During my first ever visit to this park, when I arrived at the park gates I was greeted by the thundering sound of the South falls which made me very happy ... And when I saw the waterfalls I realized what love at first sight means! 

When I saw the South Falls I went crazy! I didn't know from which angle to shoot ... the thundering flow was creating clouds of mist all around. The tiny drops were accumulating on the lens. I wore a rain jacket and dressed my camera too with rain gear ... and started ... It was heaven! Visitors can walk behind the falls to experience the misty spray. When I was done with South Falls I went ahead on the trail of ten falls. The trail takes the hiker from south fork to north fork of the Silver Creek.

The whole trail has thundering waterfalls, small waterfalls, delicates ones and the small pools. There are million opportunities for photography. And I did spend more time just watching the water than shooting. The green around and the white water was mesmerizing!  But what bothers me is the naming of those beautiful falls ... like ... south falls, lower south falls, lower north falls, middle south falls ... so boring huh? I could them on some fairies and angels :) These waterfalls make people so happy with their beauty and so authorities should have named them with beautiful names.


I took around 300 pictures of these 10 waterfalls, and the stream. In every possible angle. I love each one of them. If anybody asks me- Did you ever fall in love? ... My answer would be ... Yes, with the waterfalls of Oregon :) ... This is the last post of year 2012 and is about ... a lovely place.
---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

Click HERE to read more articles about Oregon, USA.

This ost is linked to Our World Tuesday and Nature Notes.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

44 comments:

  1. They really are spectacular. Your description certainly brought them to life. Have a happy 2013 and keep on blogging about your travels so I can enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your kind words! Happy New Year! Yeah sure, and will see you regularly next year on my blog :)

      Delete
  2. Scintillating waterfalls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Ramakrishnan. Yes, these waterfalls are fabulous!

      Delete
  3. Enthralling post Kusum! A treat for start of New Year:) Keep sharing and have a great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bhatia Ji. Yes, I love these waterfalls!

      Delete
  4. These picture are beautiful. I would love to go here

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly. You must visit the place when you get a chance :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos, and i agree with you that the names of the falls are unimaginative. I know that feeling when you just can't take enough photos of something that inspires you with its beauty. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carol! Happy new year to you too! Yeah, waterfalls are beautiful creations of Mother Nature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place to visit. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carver! Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year. What a beautiful place to explore and photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely beautiful... wishing you a very happy New Year filled and overflowing with beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. Wish you a Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  10. I fell in love with Oregon as a whole. I wish I had seen those waterfalls, they look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jededish, you should have! Just few miles from Portland you will find a plethora of waterfalls!!

      Delete
  11. What amazing shots of a place I will never see for myself. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty for kind those words! You never know ... you might just wake up to be in Oregon! :)
      Happy new year!

      Delete
  12. Really nice shots! I like waterfall walks.

    It always surprises me how calm the birds are once they are "in the tube" - most just sit there and have a bit of a look around while we weigh them.

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart. Nice to know about the bird behavior. Me, long ago as a student helped an Ornithologist record bird calls. Though for a very short time I liked working in the field.

      Delete
  13. Lovely captures of the waterfalls. Oregon has so many beautiful places to visit. Thanks for sharing your trip. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! Wish you a very happy new year!

      Delete
  14. Positively gorgeous captures - I can well understand how you fell in love with these waterfalls. The journey you took sounds marvellous; thanks for sharing it with us. (thanks for dropping by my blog too!) Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. Yeah, Silver Falls SP is fantastic place!

      Delete
  15. This is so beautiful...
    South falls... AHa ... pics make me want to go and see it in person..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my Blog Manjulika and Thank you!
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  16. stunning! Thanks for sharing. I have gone on vacations just to hike to waterfalls. Never been to Oregon. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Marlo :) Thank you. Waterfalls bring peace to mind, don't they?

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you Zandarmid :) Wish you a very happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  18. OMG that is surely so wonderful, and your photos are superbly done! I am so envious. I love waterfalls too and i can stay a whole day just taking lots of photos and many angles as you did. But my gadgets are not as complete as yours. Sometimes we also travel far, by plane then bus, then boat, then local transport system just to get to the waterfalls. I share with you the feelings of being near them. How so exciting for you to see 10 of them in just a day! I have some few waterfall posts also in my other blogsite 'Andrea in this Lifetime'. My companions saw the 7 falls riding the zipline, but i can't take it so i content myself with just two! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kalantikan. Yeah, waterfalls are so beautiful that we want to catch them in pics so that we could enjoy even after leaving them behind in the woods!

      Delete
  19. Such picturesque falls with all that greenery around. Lovely captures. Looks like a painting.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please join us each Friday for Photog Friday at www.photogfriday.blogspot.com
    for those who enjoy and want to share beautiful photography. Share your photos from the week and connect with other photogs.

    And be sure to sign up on our site to get an email notice when the next Photog Friday is live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You have a nice Blog-hop. Will definitely join you :)

      Delete
  21. Wow! Love the photos. We don't have too many waterfalls in FL so I love seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.