Nov 30, 2012

Modern Architecture- Cloud Gate



After NYC and LA, Chicago is the busiest city in United States. In 2012 Chicago is listed seventh in Global City Index (info from Wiki). Why not? It is one of the most beautiful metro areas I have seen. The Millennium Park is an icon. AT&T plaza in the park has an unusual and beautiful public sculpture.

Nicknamed as The Bean this sculpture is made of highly polished stainless steel plates and reflects city's skyline. At times the colorful sky reflected makes it look like something out of this world. People can walk underneath which looks like a navel. It is designed by Indian-British Anish Kapoor and the design is inspired by liquid mercury. You know? like a giant drop of mercury. Its interesting shape and the reflection provides great opportunities for photography. 

I visited Chicago quite sometime ago and I never happened to post some detailed post on this. I was here late afternoon. Otherwise, there are numerous night photography opportunities here. The sculpture looks golden in the artificial light. The artist's vision just amazes me. How could anyone just visualize something virtually? There are many others architectural wonders in Chicago. One of them is the skyline itself. Every year one tallest building in the world comes up! When I took a boat tour I happened to see many of them.


I am a history buff. I love to visit the ancient architectural marvels. But, when I see these modern my-time architectural beauties I am speechless!
---

If you liked the article, leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

Click HERE to read more articles about Modern Architecture.

This post is linked to Skywatch Friday.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


30 comments:

  1. What a terrific post/photos for the day, Kusum!! I do love The Bean! Wonderful reflections and such blue, blue skies!! Terrific post for the day!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Bean the one time I was in Chicago, although it was cold and rainy. Nice shots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great creation.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is just wonderful - so beautiful in its own modern way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful captures! Happy sky watching.

    Moon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great captures and like the fisheye lens like reflections from the Bean sculpture:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love the reflections in the ball. What a cool sculpture! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a very interesting pieace of Architecture indeed. I guess it would be cool to shoot it in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots, the Bean is definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Chicago and visit the Bean from time to time just to take pictures of it and to watch people interacting with the reflections. I've been there on warm and crowded days and on days when I'm all along and my fingers are getting numb from cold.
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.