Nov 18, 2012

Random Thoughts- Traveling full-time on a budget


I have been traveling on and off ... I quit my job beginning of 2011 to spend all my time traveling! Almost two years now and I have traveled some parts of India. As the time passes by, at times I am asked by my Dad ... what next? What are the plans for earning a living? Yeah, valid concerns from worried parents :) 

These thoughts have passed my mind too! I jumped into something that I always wanted- Be a Vagabond. But, then how am I going to maintain myself being a Vagabond? Yeah, when I had a job which paid me a very very handsome amount I went on luxury trips. Now, I have tried moderate budget backpacking trips in India.

Well, spending money without income doesn't work for long. Still I am not ready to take up a Software/management job. People I worked with earlier call me to ask ... we have an opening just right for you, why don't you join? ... I still am not satisfied with wandering around -or- not yet bored of present life -or- scared of my future. I read blog articles about how to earn money while traveling and so on ... Well, I am not so much experienced yet to advice people to quit jobs to travel. I myself haven't yet tried the cyber-employments. I haven't tried to win contests for fully paid trips. I haven't tried to write reviews about Airlines, hotels, resorts, restaurants or books. I haven't tried volunteering in exchange for accommodation and food. I haven't even tried to promote my blog. I am very bad at marketing. I do not know how am I going to manage things ... I still haven't got an opportunity to believe that these prizes, sponsorships are a reality. I may start believing it when I win something :) Either way, I win or not, I am sure I will definitely try to live out of my backpack and I am going to be happy that way.

Since the day I have quit my job I chant only one mantra ... value for money. I think before buying something for me or others ... do I or they really need it? And so end up saving money for my travels. Best thing that travel teaches you is ... you need very less to live. Eat to live and to experience. Walk at least 3KM per day for sightseeing, that keeps you fit! You can still look very stylish spending very less :) 

Since my childhood I have traveled luxuriously with parents. But, I do not want to ask my Dad or siblings to sponsor my trips. Now, my needs while traveling have become very basic. A clean and safe shelter for after dark hours. Food and water to live. Internet access would be great. The balance between need and comfort is the key. Being a backpacker/camper/trekker I am not too fussy about  comfort. Is it too much to ask- A room with clean bed, white linen and a clean attached bathroom-toilet with hot water? But, if available I will use much of luxury :)

Food, I am okay with smaller vegetarian restaurants. I will taste and enjoy the authentic regional cuisine provided it is not too masaledaar (spicy) and doesn't have the popular taste salt (MSG). Posher the restaurant lesser the authenticity. In my opinion in posh restaurants food is modernized and customized to suite the international tourists. I will eat anything from street-side Aloo-vada or momo or simple local food in Home-stays and exotic local cuisine and modernized food in posh restaurants provided it fits my policy- value for money and no MSG.

Till now, I have been keeping a record of my expenses. Least is spent on food. Most of the money is spent on flight tickets, wildlife viewing, trekking guides, adventure sports, entrance fee to Amusement parks, sometimes sightseeing taxis and the accommodation. If these costs come down my life will be much easier!

Pic: In Sep 2012, Me at Grand Canyon, AZ, USA. For a change my own picture :)
---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

Click HERE to see more posts of Random Thoughts.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

8 comments:

  1. All the best for your new (budget) journey!!!

    I don't find link to your blog feeds so that I can subscribe to your posts... please add my mail id technophilo@technophilo.in to subscriber list if you have and I can confirm my subscripton...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Technophilo. Email subscription is enabled!

      Delete
  2. loved being able to see YOUR PIC!!!! :) What a nice surprise to come back to blogville and see that. Also, this was a great post about being satisfied with a budget travel- it is true- it can be done!! But I do know other travel bloggers who actually earn money so they can keep doing what they are doing- I'm sure you would be good at it- your blog would market itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! Welcome back! Great to see you back ... and read your detailed comments about my articles.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I completely missed this, the one with your pic :-)

    I agree with Connie. Kusum, seriously, if you would market this, this blog would go places. You have travelled a lot, and alone, and that's quite a feat. I have said this before, i takes a lot of courage to quit and take up what one really likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Whatever ... I love to travel and I will find a way.

      Delete
  4. i am glad you wrote about yourself Kusum because while reading your blog my mind was wondering in many questions what you have answered here.LOve to hear more of your tales ahead.Have wonderful trips and memories ahead.Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my Blog PC :) Well, hope you will join me on the virtual journeys!

      Delete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.